Swimming pools can provide hours of entertainment for children and families. But pool play can also be incredibly dangerous, so there are some swimming pool safety rules you should follow to keep your children and families safe this summer.
Pool safety tips:
- An adult should always be present when children are in the pool. Adults should set a good example by following all the rules below.
- Keep a cell phone and rescue equipment handy in case of emergencies.
- Follow the buddy system — always have a swim partner to look after you.
- Check the depth of the pool before diving in, especially before diving in head first.
- No running on the wet pool deck — a slip or trip can have deadly consequences.
- Water reflects and intensifies the sun’s rays, so waterproof sunscreen is a must.
- Check to make sure pool toys are safe — no rough edges, properly inflated, in good repair and are too large for small children to swallow or choke on.
- Never leave a pool cover partially on when children are swimming — a child can easily become trapped under the cover.
- Never let a child swim in the dark. Keep the pool area well lighted if you intend to use it at night.
- Cold water can be dangerous. It requires more energy to be in cold water and can quickly tire a swimmer, so be extra cautious early and late in the swim season.
- Children should take lessons and learn how to tread water, float the swim.
- For children who aren’t comfortable in the water, use a life vest or flotation device at all times.
Located in Glendale, Arizona, Pool People provides regular pool and spa cleaning, pool and spa maintenance, pool remodeling, pool and spa repairs, as well as tile cleaning for residents of the Northwest Valley on Phoenix.