Swimming pool toys are a great way to liven up your child’s play time. However, parents must be on the lookout and child proof both the pool area and the pool toys. Most parents’ worst feat is drowning, but there are other hazards of pool time play such as cuts and bruises, and sometimes choking hazards that can all happen from worn out pool toys.
When purchasing a swimming pool toy
• Check labels for age appropriate toys for your child.
• Read labels for appropriate use and safety warnings.
• Avoid small objects that might be a choking hazard for small children.
• Inspect toys to make sure all parts are securely attached, seams and seals are tight, etc.
• Avoid dark colored toys. A dark colored toy absorbs the heat of the sun and can actually burn a child’s sensitive skin.
When using a swimming pool toy
• Check for rough edges, mold, mildew or leaks before letting your children play with the toy.
• Watch constantly and remove any toys that break or deflate immediately.
• Never leave your child alone in the pool or with a pool toy.
Swimming pool toy storage and care
• Store the toys out of the sun, especially here in Phoenix. The sun causes plastic to wear out fast!
• Whenever feasible, deflate toys for storage.
• Make sure all toys are dry before storing to prevent mold and mildew.
If you have questions about swimming pool toy safety, come into Pool People in Glendale, Arizona, and ask us what will work for your pool. Pool People provides regular pool and spa cleaning, pool and spa maintenance, pool remodeling, pool and spa repairs, as well as tile cleaning for residents of the Northwest Valley in Phoenix. We also have a fully stocked pool store at 5830 W. Thunderbird Rd., Suite B-6, Glendale, AZ.